I don’t remember having it as a kid, but there is something so warm and fuzzy to me, about a warm quiche! The sweetness of a pie crust with the savory flavors of veggies and eggs. Perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. And for those of us too busy to stop and cook such yumminess throughout the week, here’s an idea so you can eat as though you do.
I purchase a handful of pie crusts, premade in the frozen section at the grocery store. Of course you can use the roll out kind, make your own, or go the quickie route like me. Open them, but no need to thaw. Use a fork or such and poke tiny holes all over to ensure air can get through.
Then, simply follow either a recipe you prefer or my make-shift recipe below. Double or triple the ingredient amounts depending on how many pie crusts you get! I often make multiple types in one sitting, using the veggie mix for all of them and alternating meat type.
- Handful of Meat or Meat Substitute (I have used smoked salmon, frozen shrimp, baked tofu)
- Handfull of Veggies of your choice (I chop up harder veggies like onion into small pieces and simply tear up softer veggies like spinach)
- Salt and Pepper to taste (I use a truffle salt and just a bit of pepper)
- Sprinkle of Cheese (you can use one or several types, I happen to love harder, aged cheese in quiche)
- Eggs (I use egg beaters and simply add enough to fill the pan)
- 1 cup Cream (I use vanilla soymilk for some sweetness)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Saute harder veggies such as peppers and onions.
- Saute any uncooked meat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, cream, cheese, salt and pepper. Whisk together until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all other ingredients, including veggies and meats. Mix thoroughly.
- Place pie crusts on baking sheet, fill with veggie mix then cover until full with egg mixture.
- Bake on middle shelf in preheated oven for 40 minutes. The top will be puffed and golden brown.
- Remove from oven, and let stand for 10 minutes before covering with tinfoil
- Label each depending on the type, and place in the freezer.
Taadaaa! Now you have them ready: just take out of the freezer, place directly in the oven at 350F and wait about 40 minutes. YUM